Alabama typically experiences mild to hot summer months, some very cold winters, and a good amount of precipitation all year round. Extreme humid, hot and cold temperatures and weather can lead to a variety of foundation issues. Our valued Bessemer clients and those in the surrounding areas should give focus to examining their foundations for any indications of damage or failure. Should problems be identified, contact the professional foundation repair contractors here at Foundation Repairs & Home Improvements as soon as possible.
Causes of Varied Foundation Issues
The weather and specific soil conditions can create a variety of serious problems for foundations. Some of the most common causes of foundation issues here in Alabama include the following:
- Heaving and Settling – In the cold fall and winter months the varying temperatures can easily cause soil under your home to expand and ultimately contract over time. This action causes your foundation atop the soil to start to heave, settle and even begin to crack.
- Simple Erosion – Whenever excessive amounts of water, rain, or even melting snow are present, this will lead to erosion, which ends up washing away the soil under your home and creates spaces and noticeable voids. Your home can begin to settle into the newly present voids as a result of the lack of support.
- Poor Property Drainage – If the drainage system that exists around your home and property is not functioning at peak levels, it can allow various forms of water to pool around your home’s foundation and then ultimately begin to seep into the concrete itself. When this occurs, the concrete begins to weaken and it becomes susceptible to a variety of crack formations.
- Hydrostatic Pressure – When excessive moisture is present and the ground around and under your home absorbs all sorts of water types, hydrostatic pressure within the soil begins to increase quickly. The pressure created pushes against your home’s foundation and causes it to shift and, in many cases, will cause it to possibly crack as well.
Foundation issues such as shifting, sinking, settling and cracking need be given focus and attention as quickly as they are identified. Tending to these problems immediately will help to eliminate any chances of structural damage such as leaning or bowing to the foundation walls, water problems, and even help eliminate pest infestations as well. The longer you put off resolving these foundation issues, the greater the problem will become.
If you are uncertain as to whether or not you have indications of foundation failure, we have put together this list of common symptoms to help with your analysis:
- Uneven or sloped floors in your home
- Cracks in the walls or floors
- Leaning or bowed walls
- Doors or windows that are constantly sticking
- Cracks in your ceilings
- Leaning chimneys
If you notice any of these signs above, then surely you may have serious foundation issues that need tending to. As we mentioned above, do not delay in contacting our professionals for a free consultation when these indications are present.
Settling and sinking foundation issues can be resolved by installing what are referred to as underpinning devices such as push piers or helical piers. These piers are installed into the soils located deep underground. Then the weight of the foundation is transferred over to the pier that is used to stabilize first and then lift the foundation. This method closes off any foundation cracks that were formed as a result of the settling.
If a shifting foundation issue is present such as bowing or leaning walls or foundation cracks, these are fixed with the use of wall plate anchors. The anchors are installed into the ground closest to the affected foundation wall and is then connected with a rod and plate system to the wall. The rod will eventually tighten and straighten the wall over a period of time. We can also use large screw like devices, known as helical tiebacks, to pull the foundation wall into place by applying pressure.
For more information on our services or if you would like to schedule a free consultation, then simply give a shout out to the experts here at Foundation Repairs & Home Improvements today. Our qualified repair contractors stand ready to serve you and look forward to providing you with effective solutions to all your foundation issues. Don’t delay. Contact us today!!