Basement Waterproofing in Alabama
A basement can be a great bonus area for storage, games, and even guests—but only if it’s dry and finished. That’s where basement waterproofing comes in. If you’re struggling with a damp, musty basement that can’t be used for daily life, it’s time to learn more. Alabama Foundations can help transform a wet basement into an enjoyable space that’s good for your home and even better for your family. Learn how you can enhance your home and better protect your foundation with basement waterproofing.
What Is Basement Waterproofing in AL?
Basement waterproofing is a way you can seal off a home’s basement from moisture. The goal of basement waterproofing is to prevent water from penetrating the basement. Depending on the basement style, foundation type, and presence of existing moisture issues, basement waterproofing can involve any combination of techniques including:
- Interior Sealants: Sealants are a temporary way to prevent some moisture from being absorbed by the basement floors and walls. An interior sealant penetrates the concrete or masonry and can include epoxies and urethanes. The sealant is injected into openings to prevent water from seeping in.
- Interior Water Drainage: Interior water drainage is the most effective form of waterproofing. A properly installed basement drainage system helps prevent water buildup in the basement and pushes water away from the footers of the home’s foundation, then out under the basement floor. The system is installed inside the basement along the perimeter wall. Generally speaking, interior drainage systems are more affordable than exterior drainage systems.
- Exterior Water Drainage: Exterior drainage systems are usually installed during the construction phase and cost more than interior systems. The exterior method uses membranes and polymers to coat the exterior basement wall, and can be extremely effective at preventing water from damaging the home’s structure. Exterior water drainage isn’t the best solution for older homes, as the process can prove disruptive and ultimately ineffective.
Exterior waterproofing system being installed in Birmingham, AL.
Basement Waterproofing Benefits
Beyond giving you a useable space for storage and quality family time, basement waterproofing has one primary benefit: it keeps your basement dry. When your basement is dry, moisture cannot damage your home’s foundation, cause mold growth, or attract rodents and pests. A dry basement is a healthy basement and is the best way to prevent moisture related issues in the future!
With a dry basement underfoot, you can count on the following benefits:
- Reduced or eliminated risk of basement flooding
- Lower energy bills due to more efficient heating and cooling
- A healthier, moisture-controlled home environment
- Protection for your home’s foundation
Signs Your Home Needs Basement Waterproofing
How do you know if your house could benefit from basement waterproofing? Some signs are pretty obvious—like a flooded basement—but others slowly surface. Call Alabama Foundations at the first sign of one of these problems. The sooner we get to the source and stop the moisture from penetrating your home, the more affordable the fix could be!
- You notice water puddles in the basement.
- Basement doors are warped or swollen.
- The basement windows and doors almost always have condensation on them.
- The basement walls or floors are stained.
- The basement smells damp and the smell doesn’t go away!
How to Waterproof a Basement in Alabama
One of the best (and fastest) ways to waterproof an Alabama basement is by contacting Alabama Foundation Repairs & Home Improvement. Alabama Foundations is the only waterproofing company that can proudly claim to be the original foundation company with more than 30 years of business. Call or email today for a free on-site inspection of your wet basement. We’ll examine your basement and present you with the most practical and affordable option for your situation.